Saturday, April 11, 2009

What Can I Learning From Social Networking Sites?

Like many of my age group I spend way too much time on a social networking site. I check the status of my friends, post my own, review photos and take a bunch of useless quizzes. I have found out what I should have been named, Annie in case you wondered, what my aura says, how much I know about movies and other useless information. What I want to know is how I can use this same technology to make my eLearning just as ‘sticky’?

In my training courses I have used online midterm and final assessments to check the knowledge of my students. But really what I am doing is forcing them to regurgitate what they learned throughout the session. I don’t think I am really measuring their learning or are they excited to do it. In fact I have had adults suffer from test anxiety just like when they were in school.

How could I make the experience more enjoyable?

What about this? Create quizzes like I take on that networking site. With this theory I could have my students taking quizzes that they are interested in. They would be short 10 question multiple choice quizzes that can be accessed at will, in any order the learner wants, you could even add an images to the questions. My thought would be creating several quizzes for a course. After they are created they can be posted an LMS and allow students to access them when they like. They could be used as a pre-test to find out how much they know or just as a review of material they already learned. All at their own pace and in any order they like their own version of self directed learning.

I was even thinking some of the quizzes could be on generic topics such as customer service skills, collections or sales techniques, topics that are often glossed over many times due to time constraints. On quizzes that don’t correlate to topics taught in class a quick review could be made on questions answered incorrectly to give the student additional information.

Of course now it would be trying it out to see if it would work. How do you make your eLearning sticky?

No comments: